Sunday, December 20, 2009

Anyone know where I can find really quick, really easy really cheap tofu recipes?

Please help. I'm very new to the vegan lifestyle,( like I've just started 3 days ago.) I'm basically a ';meat and potatoes';, plain foods type of girl. I work with my hands, so I need to maintain my muscles and stamina.And I'm on a tight budget. I'm trying to quit meat 'cold turkey.' So now, I have this huge block of firm tofu sitting in my fridge and the majority of the reciepes I've found thus far seem a little too fancy for my taste. I don't know any vegans, so I'm kinda on my own here.


Also, is it normal to have a little indigestion at first? I think I may have maxed-out on couscous and salads. Oh, and are you supposed to drain the tofu or do you store it in the water that it comes with? How long can you keep it in the fridge? And how can you tell when it goes bad?Anyone know where I can find really quick, really easy really cheap tofu recipes?
www.allrecipes.com


That's a great website.


Indigestion is normal when switching your diet, because your body simply isn't used to the new food you are eating.


Drain the tofu that you are going to use, but store the rest in water.





You should really make some tofu sticks. My mom makes those and they are delicious! Just take small strips of tofu, cover them in bread crumbs, and fry them. Eat with ketchup!Anyone know where I can find really quick, really easy really cheap tofu recipes?
Hi! Congrats, I have read of a decennia-long research made in the U.S. amongst female nurses: vegetarians live longer and stay healthier. When my kid is a bit older I will go back to that, too.





I don't know of any websites, but I will share my simplest everyday recipes with you. Hope this helps you at all : )





You can store tofu in fresh water. In a tight plastic container and in fridge tofu will stay fresh approx. for one week, if you remember to change fresh cold water every day. (I sometimes forget...but every other day seems to be enough). I tend to use one chunk in 4 to 5 days. But the water is necessary. You will know by the smell...and taste is awful. also the structure of tofu will change, it will become softer in a strange way.





My son is not one for fancy food either (8 years), but loves tofu. He will actually eat it raw, unprepared if he is hungry. I just cut him carrot-thick sticks of it. I did not teach him this, he invented it himself.





One other is to fry tofu quickly in olive oil and sprinkle some curry powder on it, children like mild of course, but you can find your own favorites. Just eat with cooked brown rice, or a rice mixture (brown with wild rice is great) add some steamed broccoli to the side etc.





Tofu in cubes and fried with curry is delicious with gently baked apple cubes inside a tortilla or a crepe. Crepes filled with other vegetarian stuff as well is great! Try spinach with feta cheese and roasted pine nuts. You can prepare crepes from soy-milk, if you have given up dairy as well. Eggs I don't know how to replace. But we buy organic.





A classic tofu recipe is tofu in wok with japanese soy sauce and sesame seeds.





If you grow tired of tofu time to time, remember that nuts and seeds have protein, calcium and other good stuff in them as well.





Happy easy cookings!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fast-and-Ea鈥?/a>





For more tofu recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.asp鈥?/a>
Tofu Cookies





Roll tofu flat with rolling pin. Cut into fun shapes with cookie cutters. Top with icing and sprinkles! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment